Temporary Essix Retainer Homecare Instructions
- Please remove your retainer before eating. An Essix retainer is utilized for aesthetic purposes only and should NOT be worn while eating or sleeping.
- Use two hands to remove the Essix gently from your teeth. The twisting motion of pulling on one side of the retainer will put stress on it and may cause it to crack.
- Clean your retainer daily. We recommend using a soft-bristled toothbrush to remove any debris or build-up that may occur. Non-abrasive toothpaste or mouthwash may be used in conjunction. You may soak your retainer twice a week in a fresh guard cleaner such as Efferdent, Polident, or Retainer Bright, which may be purchased at most major pharmacies or supermarkets.
- Do NOT use hot water or drink very hot liquid with your retainer because this will deform or warp it.
- With proper care, your Essix retainer should last more than a year.
- Failure to comply with the above home-care instructions will cause damage or breakage of your retainer. If the damage cannot be easily repaired in office, the patient is responsible for the cost to have a new Essix retainer fabricated.
If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact our office at (360) 438-0711.